Sprint U301 3G/4G USB Modem (Franklin Wireless): Good Speeds, Lots of Potential

I need to be able to create and send content from wherever I am. For that, I need my laptop, and it has to be connected to the Internet at high speed. Connecting over Wi-Fi usually does the job--but when I?m on the road, locating a Wi-Fi connection can be a challenge. I find myself using (or wishing I could use) cellular data service. Franklin?s U301 USB modem allows you to do that, and adds the possibility of connecting to faster 4G networks where they are available.
Though the unit has a list price of $300 (as of May 25, 2010), Sprint's current online rebates make the item free if the purchase is tied to a two-year contract with unlimited 4G data ($60 per month).

In general, 3G cellular service is around half as fast as the DSL-like speeds (downloads at about 1 megabit per second) of a typical Starbucks Wi-Fi connection. But 4G service (in our experience) can pump out download speeds in the 2 to 4 mbps range, with bursts of up to 8 mbps.
During the 2010 wireless performance tests that my firm, Novarum, conducted with PCWorld, I tested the speed of the Clearwire/Sprint 4G network from numerous locations in Baltimore, Portland, and Seattle, using the U301 3G/4G modem to connect a Windows 7 laptop.

No response to “Sprint U301 3G/4G USB Modem (Franklin Wireless): Good Speeds, Lots of Potential”

Leave a Reply

Page Navigation

 
span.fullpost {display:inline;}